Thursday, August 11, 2011

Matt Hasselbeck and the passing of my youth

Thanks for the memories Matt
In September I will begin my first year of post-secondary schooling, a stark and sudden realization that I’m not a kid anymore. Moving away from home, taking on new challenges and responsibilities, continuing to criticize society, all while attempting to make a name for myself in this crazy world we live in. 


It was in 2003, when I was ten, that I began taking an interest in the NFL, which coincided with Matt Hasselbeck’s appointment as the unquestioned starting quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks. My new found enthusiasm came at an opportune time. The Seahawks were about to roll off the best half-decade in franchise history. The legendary Super Bowl winning coach Mike Holmgren was at the helm, star running back Shaun Alexander was in the backfield, future Hall of Fame left tackle Walter Jones paved the way for Alexander and provided protection for Hasselbeck under center. They didn’t win a Super Bowl, but from 2003 to 2007 the Seahawks were a part of the NFL elite, winning four consecutive NFC West titles. From the infamous “We want the ball and we’re going to score” playoff OT loss to Green Bay to the equally infamous Tony Romo fumbled field goal snap in a 21-20 playoff win, to the 2005 NFC Championship and the franchise’s only Super Bowl appearance, the Seahawks of my youth were entertaining and successful. But as the old proverb states, all good things must come to an end. Alexander was released following the 2007 season; Jones suffered a knee injury late in the 2008 season and never recovered enough to return to football; Holmgren retired following that season, after the Seahawks went 4-12; only Hasselbeck remained from the offensive core of those great Seahawk teams. It was never the same without the rest of the gang but Hasselbeck persevered through three losing seasons, finally winning another division title in 2010, albeit with a losing record, and in what would be Hasselbeck’s last home game as a Seahawk, he led them to a historic upset over the defending champion Saints in the NFC wild card round. 



Listening to the third period and the post-game of the Canucks on CKNW on my pocket size radio when I was supposed to be in sleeping; having season tickets for the Vancouver Grizzlies at six years old and then forever lamenting the loss of the team that was taken away from me much too soon; watching the MLB postseason and as a Red Sox fan, experiencing the heartbreak of 2003 and the joy of 2004; watching my first Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup and NBA Finals; following the Seahawks of my youth every Sunday during football season; It’s these memories that I will always carry with me and look back on fondly.

Hasselbeck’s departure is just another reminder that I'm now grown up. The Seahawks are currently in the process of building a new identity, having made a serious splash in free agency with the Sidney Rice and Zach Miller signings. It's a reality of professional sports; players come and go but memories last forever. Thanks Matt, for always playing hard and helping a young kid love the game of football. We'll both always have the Seahawks in our hearts, no matter where life takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment